Friday, March 12, 2010

F's Lesson 2


Just now I had a dinner with F in NTU and we had a discussion about career development.

I mentioned that one of our friend X went back to Tianjin. F asked me what she told me about her intension? I gave him the answer that X typed on MSN, she said "I probably won't go back to Singapore".

Like us, X came here to study in Polytechnic. Then she worked as an assistant engineer for three years so that she could clear the bond. Last December, we met on the plane back to Tianjin. To my surprise, she bought a single way ticket. Her explanation was she resigned her job in order to spend a longer holiday with her family. When she explained her reasons I could sense her little sadness and low confidence. At that moment, I knew that she was not fully happy with her stay in Singapore. I could sense that she was not certain about her future.

On the first day of this month X and I had a chat on MSN. When I asked her whether she would return, she gave me that answer"I probably won't go back to Singapore".

F share me his opinion on X: X was just pretending to return here. She left quietly, because she didn't have a plan. She thought returning to Tianjin would be a new start for her, but a person without plan is like a ultimate bridge to nowhere. It is not the case that going back to home will always be better. No matter where we live, we have to work hard. No pain, no gain.

F told me he spot the weakness of X: X left quietly without letting most people know, because she herself look down upon her. And she believe returning back to Tianjin could be a turning point.

When F was driving me back home, I still though of what he said. Changing environment without changing ourselves is not a promising solution.

3 comments:

Regina said...

curiosity over the names in initials almost kills me.

"Changing environment without changing ourselves is not a promising solution." -interesting conclusion

Guo Cheng said...

So you want to who these people are, especially F and W, right?

I feel I don't want to go back. The reason is quite simple: I don't have many contacts in China. Even my father don't have many contacts. My friend F's father is different. His father has some political power and influence. That's why when he said he wanted to go back, he didn't realize our difficulties. If he go back and start a business, he can use his father contacts thus his starting up stage is easier. I don't mean my friend F only depend on contacts. He is already a quite successful business man in Singapore. But in China, contacts are important.

The other problem is if I go back, I will have to compete with locals and even work under someone who graduate from local universities. It means I will increase the competition level in a competitive environment. And most people in China don't like it.

Regina said...

Just saw your reply. Yes I'm mighty curious who F and W are.

About going back, I think we're too young to establish our roots somewhere. Besides, those who have lived overseas are usually more creative (statistically proven) and they thrive in lands away from home, having always to prove their worth as minorities.

Time will tell where we really belong. In the end, your conclusion prevails - "Changing environment without changing ourselves is not a promising solution."