Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Other Side of Fighting Spirit in Martial Arts

Recently I made an important decision. I left Singapore Judo Club, a place where I have practiced Judo for five years. I joined SA judo club which is Judo Club nearer to where I live. Transportation is the reason of my decision. By now I have been a formal member of three clubs, had visiting training in all the Judo Clubs in Singapore, and participated in more than twenty torments. When I traced back all the steps I made in Judo, I found the core value in martial arts sports, which is usually refer as "the fighting spirit", has its pros and cons.

There are many versions of naming it, fighting spirit, fight for the soul, for the flame and glory etc... Its pros are quite obvious. It made people more motivated and disciplined. However, through years of believing it, I spot its cons as well.

Sometimes this so called "fighting spirit" lead to extreme selfish and arrogant. Once for a while, when I threw my opponent on mats, I felt enjoyable and successful. It gave me a feeling of having power and dominance. When I stepped on the competition field, I felt like I was in the battle field and I would kill my opponent. An even more enjoyable feeling happened then I beat my opponent in a match. This "fighting spirit" bring me power and hatefulness together.

I remember Dr Roy said "Life is about balance." Now I truly appreciate her word. Realizing a lot of the players in Judo focus are arrogant, I think "fighting spirit" has its positive side, but it is not one cure for all problems.

1 comment:

Su said...

you look so different in the judo field =D